Today I’m reviewing the Smashbox Super Fan Mascara. I got it as a free sample / gift with purchase with my last Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix online order. [info in italics taken from the Smashbox website]
This lengthening mascara gives you modern, fanned-out volume. Get 12-hour length, lift and volume without any heaviness or clumping.
• 360° Precision double-bristle brush loads product from root-to tip, while the soft comb reaches, styles & reveals lashes you never knew you had
• Super-black formula keeps lashes looking fuller and thicker without any clumping, smudging, flaking or heaviness
If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile, you will know that I am admittedly mega picky about mascara. I have long, super stick-straight lashes that are quite light in colour considering my natural hair colour is dark brown. I always use a lash curler before applying mascara. My eyes are sensitive, and water easily so any mascara that I use must be smudge proof, and water-resistant (ideally waterproof).
I have seven requirements for a mascara, and I’ll comment on each requirement and score each point. So how did the Super Fan Mascara measure up?
1. waterproof / water resistant – +3/4 This is not a waterproof formulation, but it did mostly withstand my watery eyes, so it is somewhat water resistant.
2. smudge-proof +1
3. non-flaking / non-clumping +1
4. must be DARK black (not blackish, not brown black, and definitely not grey black) +1 Super mega black!
5. volumizing +1/2 Fairly good volume, but not mega volume.
6. must hold a curl +1/2 It holds a curl for me for about four hours before my lashes start to return to their natural stick straight form.
7. non-irritating to my sensitive eyes +1
The brush is really great for getting the micro lashes at the inner and outer eye corners. Overall I would give this mascara a 5.75 out of 7! I do wish that it held a curl better. The lengthening is really nice, but my lashes are quite long naturally so it isn’t a must have for me. This isn’t a holy grail for me, but it is quite good. If you don’t have stick straight lashes, this might be perfect for you!
Have you tried this mascara, did you like it?
Thanks for reading,
Disclosure: This was a free sample / gift with purchase.